New 5 Mhz Channels

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
K2UX

New 5 Mhz Channels

Post by K2UX »

Anybody ready for 5 megs? It sure happened fast-- seems like all of a sudden I realized there really are new freqs in two weeks! Guess the FCC caught the manufacturers off guard. I dont think any of the big bucks radios can go there but I'm not sure. There have always been TX expansion mods for the current Kenwoods, Icoms, etc on the net so I guess they can be made to cover 5 megs. I'm ready now with my Drake TR-7 and end fed wire and home brew tuner. Should tune up there fine. Anyone reading this able to be there opening day, July 4th (or is it third?)? I've seen two conflicting lists of the 5 operating freqs-- anybody know for sure? This will be a VERY interesting experiment for the FCC and us-- this band is probably coast to coast all night-- every ham from coast to coast with access to FIVE channels-- what do you think?
How about some skeds?
Joe-- K2UX New Jersey
WB2WIK

Post by WB2WIK »

I'm ready...also with a TR-7, coincidentally! Didn't put up a dedicated 5 MHz antenna yet, so will probably use my 160m inverted vee w/tuner or something.

How've you been, Joe? Long time no hear.....
73 de Steve WB2WIK/6