Scammer Using the Call K3NO

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
N8VXR

Scammer Using the Call K3NO

Post by N8VXR »

Much like many other who post "Wanted" ads, I had a scammer response to mine looking for a LDG Z-817 ATU.

Got an email two days after posting my ad, not through QTH.com, but a direct email. First of many red flags. Email is "radiok3norich@gmail.com" and name is "RICHARD E GREEL" which is how it appears on QRZ.com when searching for his call sign, K3NO. However no email is listed on QRZ, another red flag.

I responded to this email with caution and asked for pictures, one was sent back to me. However, it was a perfect square and didn't look like it was taken on a phone and then sent in an email. "Rich" asked for my offer and I sent it to him and he responded back immediately saying that it was a deal.

I double check to see if PayPal Goods and Services was ok and that I would add an extra 3% to cover the fees that come out. He said that while he didn't have a PayPal account, he had a "friend's" that he could use and he let me know that he wanted payment to be sent via Friends and Family, third red flag. The email address he sent me is "charlesmsandoval22@gmail.com". At this point I was ready to move on and call it a day, but out of curiosity I logged into PayPal and put in the email. No name was associated with the account and when proceeding to put in an amount it let me type in the amount, however, it showed that my payment was going to get convert from USD to PHP (Philippine pesos), fourth red flag.

I confronted him about this in an email back and he said that it was supposed to be converted to PHP, I replied saying that I was uncomfortable with this and that I would decline his offer.

He then sent another PayPal email to me "gf0k0w1381@hotmail.com" and this email looks about as bogus and scammy as they get. Also, has no name associated with the account.

Rich does not have an email listed on QRZ.com like I mentioned, if someone here knows him, please notify him that his identify and call sign are being used in this scam.

Stay safe out there, always check for red flags, and double check if you still feel weary. 73 de N8VXR . .
N1NVY

Re: Scammer Using the Call K3NO

Post by N1NVY »

Just had email from this gentleman for a Flame Proof Key I was looking for. He did send a pic when asked but he didn’t respond through QTH and on his call look up no email….just didn’t feel right so ignored him.
k9dkq

Re: Scammer Using the Call K3NO

Post by k9dkq »

I'm glad I checked around first. When he requested paypal FF and the paypal account didn't match the email address he was responding with the alarms went off.