Scammer, sure hurts

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
w0cca

Scammer, sure hurts

Post by w0cca »

Gave call as W1VM and Benedict F. Alabastro. But I am pretty sure he is neither and I apologize for any bad vibes that get back to Benedict who is an older extra class ham. He used all the tricks listed here and my bad for falling for it. Picks a ham who doesnt list email. Use that hams name when creating a new hotmail account. talks you into a "friends and family" Paypal payment, hams dont use CB term like "base station". ended his offer with "the radios are in great condition" indicating not English speaker maybe as it was one radio. Offered a SD and sent pics, very nice pics, of an SDX. Any ham would value the difference. Then has the cajones after the initial offer says shipping included to want $50 more for shipping after he waited a week to even say he shipped it (wouldnt it be a miracle?).

63 years as a ham and dozens of trusting transactions, often sending radio before check received because hams are so honorable. So very discouraging to finally get hammered. $800 worth I sadly and shamedly admit. will have to struggle to get my trust back (and my vigilance as well).

read the QTH section on scammers. the pattern seems pretty consistent and my error was to fall for it.

W0CCA
W9VZU

Re: Scammer, sure hurts

Post by W9VZU »

Well, it looks like someone posting themself as W1VM--Ben, also got me for $375.00 back in June. Sent nice pictures of a YAESU FT-100D that I was looking to buy, Now not a word or confirmation of shipment. I should have known better when his phone number wasn't good, but wanted to believe that he was a real ham ! Had to send the money to possibly his girlfriend, Brenda Fray--- At the time I sent the money, there was no other scammer posting here but now I see one other recent posting by W0CCA, who also got scammed. My apologies to the real W1VM for involving his call in all this.