Non ham scammers

For reports of scammers using other people's callsigns. Remember that any callsigns listed in this forum are likely innocent bystanders (subjects of identity theft) and, thus, are probably not guilty of anything. For bad transactions with verified ham operators, use the Feedback Forum instead.
N7XAU

Non ham scammers

Post by N7XAU »

Had a low life scum bag email to purchase an item, no callsign. In the first email he goes by "Bruno Horlbeck" asking for more pictures and best price. Sent a picture and next email response came from a different person going by "Bruce Atkins", no callsign either. And of course the usual I'm sending an cashiers check for more money etc. Of course I did not respond back just giving an FYI to watch out for these names. Be safe all! 73
Tim N7XAU

The scammers:
Bruno Horlbeck
Bruce Atkins
w7kec

Re: Non ham scammers

Post by w7kec »

I just received a similar response from the same person. He first wanted to send me a cashier's check and he would have someone stop by to pickup the unit. I requested a USPS money order. He offered to do that via an electronic transfer to my bank.

Clint
W7KEC
k3gb

Post by k3gb »

Yep... same dude here! Aug 8/7 - 8/9
Bruno Horlbeck
Callsign: NONE
E-mail: bruceatkinslove@gmail.com
IP Address: 146.70.146.243 <== QTH IP check comes back as Austria
Wanted to send me a cashiers check for a $10 item! LOL

Then another one:

Baily Francis
E-mail: franciscobill062@gmail.com
IP Address: 209.97.172.141 <== QTH IP check comes back as Singapore
Wanted my mailing address (so he knew where to send check) Sent that. [Ad shows my callsign, so I wasn't giving nat'l security secrets away.] But then he wanted: "Alright Gary, can i have your cell phone ?" Ah... I don't think so!!
K4IDC

Post by K4IDC »

Same guy pinged me yesterday:
Name: Bruno Horlbeck
IP Address: 146.70.146.243 -- ( Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/146.70.146.243 )

The response is: Can i have the latest condition and picture? and what is your best price

I gave him the same info that's in the ad, he agreed, wants to send a check & have his people come pick it up:

Bruce Atkins
Aug 9, 2024, 8:00 PM (12 hours ago)
to me

That's fine with me . My mode of payment is a cashier's check, I will arrange with a Pick up person to come for the pickup when it clears your
bank or i send extra funds for you to help me ship is via usps office, so I need your full name and a mailing address where the check will be sent to

No callsign, unrelated names and email addresses, poor spelling and punctuation...all the signs of a scammer.
I told him to repent and be baptized.
na4dx

Post by na4dx »

k3gb wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:06 pm Yep... same dude here! Aug 8/7 - 8/9
Bruno Horlbeck
IP Address: 146.70.146.243 <== QTH IP check comes back as Austria
Wanted to send me a cashiers check for a $10 item! LOL

Then another one:

Baily Francis
E-mail: franciscobill062@gmail.com
IP Address: 209.97.172.141 <== QTH IP check comes back as Singapore
Wanted my mailing address (so he knew where to send check) Sent that. [Ad shows my callsign, so I wasn't giving nat'l security secrets away.] But then he wanted: "Alright Gary, can i have your cell phone ?" Ah... I don't think so!!
Just had that same person "Bill Francisco" offer to purchase items from my listing here that total about $300. No callsign. So, since I've seen this type of thing before, I was aware of what was about to take place. And, it did. He sent me a business check in the amount of $1,650 made out to me with the payer being an Indian Tribe official organization located in Wisconsin. I called both the bank it was drawn on and the Indian Tribe (found them with a Google search). They had been defrauded like this before. So, when this Bill Francisco contacted me again by email I let him know what I had done...guess what? I haven't heard back from. But, too many times people don't due their own research and deposit the check, send the items, only to get told by their bank that the check was a fraud. BEWARE!
K4IDC

Post by K4IDC »

Latest non-ham scammer:
Name: D Harriet
E-mail: dwsnharriertt@outlook.com
IP Address: 94.198.41.242 -- ( Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/94.198.41.242 )
The response is:
If your ad is still let me know and send me picture and condition

Scammer's IP address shows to be in Vienna, Austria.
Art46

Post by Art46 »

Same thing here for two radios I have in separate ads.
Only thing that was in the reply was..."I want it, let me now"
Evidently using different email addresses but using Outlook
D Harriet
dwsntolue@outlook.com